My family recently did a major interior upgrade and I helped with many of the design aspects of these projects (with lots of phone calls, texts and face-timing remotely from DC) so I thought I’d share a few stages of the overall process. Over the next couple weeks, I’ll go through each space and the decision-making process, post progress photos, etc. Starting off with the master project list. Every item on the list is currently finished with the exception of the dining room, but my mom and I have chronicled every stage, so I’ll start with the before photos and a full list of updates and renovations for the home.
- Replace blue carpet with a taupe color in living room, on staircase, all of upper floor
- Stain ceiling beams darker in living room
- Paint wood paneling white in living room
- Paint window and door frame trim white in living room
- Resurface and re-stain wood floors in kitchen, dining room, hallways, laundry and bathroom
- Stain door frames and trim in kitchen to match wood floors
- Replace appliances in kitchen so they all match
- Repaint laundry room
- Stain and paint stair railings in a contrast dark stain with white spindles
- Paint dining room grey and white
*Many of these photos are right before painting/carpeting/sanding etc started so there’s a noticeable lack of furniture, sheets covering things, etc.
The dining room before: Worn out wooden floors, dated paint colors. Hallway/entryway before: Worn out floors from high-traffic area, blue carpeting on stairs, dated orange tinted stain on the stair railing and spindles Kitchen: Worn out floors, mismatched appliances, trim and wood floors don’t match well with darker stain on the kitchen cabinets That’s a wrap on the before photos, so stay tuned over the next couple weeks for progress posts and the full reveal!