This is what I started out with. A big pile of cords, cable box, router, modem, power strip, etc.
The back of the credenza is a softer particle-board like material so it didn’t take much to drill through the back. I didn’t want to make any more of a hole than I needed, so I started out small and made the hole just big enough to fit the cords through.
I fit everything in the top two drawer spaces and then realized the cord to my power strip was too thick to properly close the drawers and it would require drilling a hole into at least one of the drawers, which I didn’t want to do…
So I found a smaller extension cord (and forgot to take photos during that process) that was thin enough to allow the drawers to close fully. One problem: It added to the gigantic mess of cords already happening behind and below the credenza. One of my favorite features of mid-century pieces is the floating effect of the tall skinny legs so there’s a space between the furniture and the floor. However, this displays the cord mess for all to see.
I needed a cheap, simple solution that wouldn’t do any damage to the credenza. 3m velcro strips and hooks to the rescue. I simply attached two hooks to the back of the credenza with the velcro strips and wrangled the cords around both hooks to get them off the floor.
It still looks like a bit of a mess back here but it won’t be visible to anyone unless the credenza is pulled completely away from the wall.
I’m thrilled with the end result. With the exception of the main cable cord (which will always be visible as it feeds back to my closet), everything else is neatly hidden away.