Who says you can’t help out with a closet makeover roughly 1,500 miles away? My friend in Austin, Texas was in need of a closet redo and a couple organizing tools. Many pictures, emails, texts and updates later, her closet was completely transformed!
Before photos are below:
We went over wants and needs for her closet and made sure to keep things affordable as well!
- More storage
- Organized layout
- Shoes off the floor/more floor space
- Making everything easily accessible
We decided to add a few storage elements to the closet. This adorable round storage from Home Goods is both functional and stylish.
Additional storage shelving and bins on one of the closet shelves to get everything off the ground and organized:
After she purchased the storage items, we played around with the layout of everything by texting pictures and ideas back and forth.
Now everything has a place and the floor space is visible! Hope this will inspire those of you with a similar situation. The most important tips to remember when organizing your own closet:
- Utilize vertical storage- get everything off the ground
- Hanging storage (on the back of the door) or bins on shelves are great for shoes, purses and other accessories in your closet
- Look for items with a duel function- the round bench provides storage and a little place to sit to put on shoes, admire your new organized closet, etc.
- Only keep what you need- don’t just organize- clean out your closet. Get rid of empty shoe boxes, donate clothes, etc.
- Use every inch of your space- if you have lots of hanging storage and bars- use them! Hang everything possible. If you have a ton of shelving- fold things that don’t need to be on a hanger or use bins on shelves to keep everything contained. I had tons of bar space in my old apartment so I utilized a lot of hanging storage. In my new apartment, I have plenty of bar space but also gained a ton of built-in shelving. Stay tuned for my own closet organization on the blog soon.
All in all, a quick and easy transformation! A few storage pieces, a bit of organization and rearranging make a huge difference. As much as I wish I could have been there in person to see my wonderful friend and lend a hand, a virtual makeover was the best we could manage 🙂